To investigate the criminal conduct of all institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in the persecution of Falun Gong; to bring such investigations, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far and deep we have to search, to full closure; to exercise fundamental principles of humanity; and to restore and uphold justice in society.

Practitioners who were tortured to death in Beijing

August 16, 2004
A4 format download

Appendix I: Practitioners who were tortured to death in Beijing

(As of March 28, 2004, 24 cases of Falun Gong practitioners being persecuted to death  in Beijing have been confirmed)


Guan, Lin

Li Yuhua



Wang Chan(39)

Wu, Yao(57)

Zhang, Yunyi(33)

Zhao Xin(32,Beijing)

Li Shouqiang(37,Chaoyang)

Mei Yulan(44,Chaoyang)

Li, Yuling(DongCheng)

Liu Zhilan(40,Fangshan)

Li, Zuling(FengTai)

Ren, Hanfen(73,Fengtai)

Zhang, Shuzhen(51,Haidian)

Peng, Guangjun(55,Huairou)


Female practitioner(Miyun)

Liu Guimin(35,Miyun)



Gong Baohua(35,Pinggu)

Zhang Shuqi(52,Xicheng)

Wu, Simin(63,Yanqing)

Appendix II: Some torture death cases in Beijing

Case 1
Zhao Xin

Because of her persistence in cultivating Falun Gong, Zhao Xin, a 32-year-old female teacher of Beijing University of Business and Industry, was brutally beaten by the police at the Haidian Police Substation in Beijing, resulting in the fracture of her neck vertebrae. Despite severe bodily injury, Zhao Xin persisted in her belief in Falun Dafa. By struggling with extreme pain and suffering, she lived six months, a long time in terms of her suffering. She died in December 2000. 
“Braving heavy police security, hundreds of friends and family attended the funeral, “AP reports. (12/13/00 8:45 AM)

Case 2
Wu Yao

Ms. Wu Yao, 57 years old, was a retired English teacher from the Affiliated Middle School of the Beijing Medical School.
On September 10, 2002, Wu Yao and her husband Yang Zhanming were arrested while clarifying the truth of Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) to people. They were later detained at the Fengtai Detention Center, Beijing City. On June 11, 2003, she was sent to a forced labor camp and was tortured by police officers because she refused to cooperate.  Her lower back was badly hurt after police officers struck her there repeatedly with their elbows.  On June 22, 2003, calling it a "sudden death," the authorities told her family that Wu Yao had passed away.

Case 3
Guan Lin
Guan Lin, translation director of an African language program at China Radio International, lived in the Yongle Residential Area of Shijingshan District in Beijing. In 2001, she was forced to leave her home in order to avoid being subjected to brainwashing. In the mid-November of 2002, she was arrested while validating Falun Dafa in Tiananmen Square. Not long after, she died from torture.
Before taking up the practice of Falun Gong, Guan Lin had suffered from cancer. However, she miraculously recovered after she began to cultivate of Falun Gong. Her death sent shockwaves through China Radio International.

Case 4
Wang Chan

1 On the afternoon of August 21, 2002, Beijing Falun Gong practitioner Wang Chan was captured at the Liangshan County Bus Station in Shandong Province by Jining Police officer Guo Hongtao and his accomplices.  He was then detained in Jining detention centre.  Sometime between August 21 and 29, Wang Chan was tortured to death during interrogation in the detention center.Wang Chan, a 39-year-old male, 1.78 m tall, was an employee of the central office of the People's Bank of China. His work performance was excellent, and his employer once sent him to Canada on business. He was a sincere, well-spoken man who affirmed his practice of Falun Gong.  He was forced homeless and jobless before his death, because of his perseverance in safeguarding Falun Gong.

Case 5
Gong Baohua

1On June 17, 2000, she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was intercepted by police at the Dongzhimen Bus Station, along with seven other Falun Gong practitioners. After taken back to the local police station, six of them were brutally beaten by police. Among them, Gong suffered the most. Medical examination in the Yukou Clinic afterwards showed that the bridge of her nose was broken. Gong's family members and local villagers requested the police to allow her to go home for recovery. In order to cover up the brutality, the police sent Gong and the other practitioners to the county detention center instead. To defend their rights, Gong and other practitioners went on a hunger strike, which were the only means available.
Around 8pm of June 25, 2000, the guards force-fed Gong through the nose, despite the fact that her nose was injured. After coming back to the cell, Gong's face looked pale. She said repeatedly that her chest felt numb and she suspected that the guards might have falsely inserted the feeding tube into her trachea during the force-feeding. About 10 minutes later, she suddenly lost consciousness. Her inmates then called the guards, but nobody answered. After a while when Gong regained her consciousness, the guards finally came over and moved Gong out of the cell for emergency treatment. She was sent back on the morning of June 26, 2000. Because her health condition looked very bad, her inmates asked the guards many times to give her a medical examination. She was then called out, and came back in the afternoon. But there was no sign of improvement in her health that night. On the morning of June 27, 2000, the inmates urged the guards to give her another medical checkup, because her health kept deteriorating. Around 10am, the detention center clinicians agreed to send Gong to the hospital. Around 9pm that evening, Gong Baohua was announced dead in the hospital.

Case 6
Mei Yulan

On May 13, 2000, Mei was arrested while practicing Falun Gong exercises outside her house. She went on a hunger strike to defend her rights. On May 17, 2000, three days into her hunger strike, she was force-fed by an inmate who had no medical skills at all. Her screaming during the force-feeding suggested that she was in extreme pain. After she returned to the cell, she had a headache, and started to vomit blood that night. The guard whose surname was Sun refused to send her for emergency treatment, and said, "Never mind, she won't die. I will take the responsibility if anything happens."She died on May 23, 2000. Five practitioners who knew about her death were sent to the detention center on May 26.

Case 7
Li Yuling

At 5:00 a.m. on July 4th, 2003, Beijing Dafa practitioner Ms. Li Yuling was tortured to death by Dongcheng District police officials in Beijing. This came on the heels of her illegal arrest on June 25, 2003.

Ms. Li Yuling left home at around 3:00 p.m. on June 25. Dongcheng District police officials arrested her as she distributed truth-clarifying material. Later, they transferred her to the Heping Hotel under the guise of "helping her to reform." The police tried to coerce her into revealing the source of the materials and names of other Falun Gong practitioners, but Li Yuling firmly refused to cooperate. The police then brutally beat her and tortured her around the clock. Li Yuling didn't show any fear when faced with brutal torture. During the nine days of detention, she held a hunger strike to protest and resisted the illegal detention and brutal torture with dignity. The policemen flew into a rage and tortured her relentlessly. At 5:00 a.m. on July 4th, Li Yuling passed away from the torture.
When Li Yuling's family received the death notice from the police, they went to the Longfusi Hospital, where her body was placed. They saw that the left half of the face was swollen and bruised. Her ribs along the sides were black and blue. The police didn't allow her family to take a careful look at the body. Furthermore, they threatened, "No picture taking! No videotaping! Don't touch the body!" They said that these were orders from "higher up."

Appendix III: Falun Gong pracitioners tortured in mental hospitals in Beijing

The abuse of psychiatry is also one of the brutal practices widely employed by Chinese police and other security forces against Falun Gong practitioners.  The Chinese mental hospitals use various inhuman “treatments” on practitioners, including physical torture, relentless psychological abuse, and the illegal administration of sedatives and anti-psychotic drugs. Such brutal practice has also taken place in Beijing mental hospitals as part of systematic persecution measures.  The police usually place the practitioners into hospitals by force, though sometimes deception is used; in addition, they normally do not notify the family members of the incarcerations. In many cases, otherwise healthy people have been rendered severely disabled as a result of the "treatments" forced upon them in these facilities.
Over 100 mental institutions in China participate in this particular form of the persecution.  The abuse of psychiatry is aimed to break the practitioners’ will by destroying the capacity to think clearly thus disenabling them to exercise the basic human rights of freedom of thought and choice. There are some mental hospitals in Bejing participate in this particular form of the persecution.  They are :

  • Shunyi County Mental Hospital, Beijing
  • Pinggu County Hanzhuang Mental Hospital, Beijing
  • Qinglongqiao Mental Hospital in Haiding District, Beijing
  • Anding Hospital, Beijing
  • Zhoukoudian Mental Hospital in Fangshan, Beijing
  • Huilongguan Hospital (a mental hospital), Beijing

Listed below are a few cases of physical and psychiatric torment suffered by Falun Gong practitioners who have been detained in mental hospitals.
Case 1. 
Li, Xiufen: Female, 45 year old, resident of a Northeastern village
She was arrested on October 12, 1999 when she went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Dafa. She was locked in an iron cage for 24 hours at the Tiananmen police station, then sent to No. 13 prison of Beijing the next evening, where she was detained for 40 days. The police cruelly tortured her in an attempt to obtain her address. They beat her with sticks three times a day on her buttocks and legs, until the sticks were broken and her body was covered with bruises. They stripped off all her clothes except for her undergarments, and made her stand outside in the cold from 5 pm until 5 am. They punched her breasts, leaving them spotted purple and blue, and kept slapping her in the face. During the detention, she was sent to the mental hospital twice, where she received forced injections of drugs and electric shocks. She was kept in a room with mentally abnormal children for 4 days; she was then transferred back to No.13 prison of Beijing. While other prisoners were fed wheat bread, she was only given one small piece of corn bread twice a day. She was not allowed to sleep until after 12:00 am. She was under the surveillance of a dozen prisoners in turn, and forced to stand all day with no sleep at night, until she finally gave her address.

Case 2. 
Niu, Jinping, male, Chaoyang District, Beijing

Following his appeal for Falun Gong in Oct. 1999, Mr. Niu was sent to mental hospital twice, and suffered torture there. 

Case 3.
Jin Baozhong , male, 33 years old, employee of a institute affiliated to Ministry of Space
Mr. Jin was illegally detained in Department No. 7 of Beijing Public Security Bureau for attending a news conference in October, 1999.  During his detention, Mr. Jin was tortured and was given drugs that cause damages to his nerve system, resulting mental disorder.  He was still not recovered after he was released in April 2000. 

Case 4.
Gong Ruiping, female, resident of Pinggu County, Beijing.

In her own statement published on Clearwisdom on October 17, 2001, Gong Ruiping told her story to the world.  On July 2, 2001, more than twenty people from her employer (the County Education Bureau) and the county police department carried her from home by force, and sent her to a brainwashing class that was being held at the Qinan Labor Camp in Daxing County. On July 13, she was sent to the Pinggu Detention Center. Around July 20, she was forcefully admitted to the Hanzhuang Mental Hospital in Pinggu County. During the twenty plus days that she was under detention, she endured all kinds of inhumane treatment.  She was beaten unconscious and suffered from temporary memory loss.  Officials in Pinggu County then openly spread the lie that she had gone mad from practicing Falun Gong. 

For further details of her statement and the aftermath, please see: