To investigate the criminal conduct of all institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in the persecution of Falun Gong; to bring such investigations, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far and deep we have to search, to full closure; to exercise fundamental principles of humanity; and to restore and uphold justice in society.

Investigative Report on the Persecution of Falun Gong by Hou Lide

Former Warden of Duyun Prison, Guizhou Province
December 30, 2020

Full Name of Perpetrator: Hou (last name) Lide (first name) 侯立德)

Gender: Male

Country: China

Date of Birth: Oct 20, 1953

Personal ID No: 52270119531020035X

Address: No. 20-5 Central Huandong Road, Duyun City, Guizhou Province[1]

Title or Position:

2002 – 2008: Warden of Duyun Prison, Guizhou Province. During his tenure, he was responsible for the torture, physical disabling, insanity, and death of many Falun Gong practitioners.

Current: Inspector of the Guizhou Provincial Supervision Bureau and the Secretary General of the Provincial Prison Association.

Main Crimes in the Persecution of Falun Gong

The Duyun Prison in Guizhou Province is the so-called ministerial level “civilized prison,” and was established by the Ministry of Justice of the Communist Party of China. In order to achieve the purpose of making Falun Gong practitioners give up their faith, the prison set up a “prison in prison.” They established a so-called “supervisory team,” “conversation room,” “attack room,” “conversion group,” etc. The prison guards instigated and manipulated the prisoners who had no conscience to torture the Falun Gong practitioners who did not give up their faith. They used all kinds of criminal methods, such as long-term binding in bed, barbaric feeding, placing in confinement, sitting on a single legged bench, beatings, punishment by protracted kneeling, electric shocks, stretching the body, pouring boiling water on the body, burning with a lit cigarette, providing only baby food, freezing, illegally extending the detention period, 24-hour monitoring, brainwashing using loud speakers, slave labor, insults, etc. They also rotated shifts to use tactics like, not letting Falun Gong Practitioners sleep for weeks, and forcing Falun Gong practitioners to watch and listen to recordings and videos defaming Falun Gong. They made the practitioners write the "guarantee (to not practice Falun Gong) letter" in a state of coma and unconsciousness to achieve their goal of "transformation.” Many Falun Gong practitioners were persecuted to disability, madness, or even to death.[2]

The prison guards threatened, “We are not afraid of going to hell when we persecute Falun Gong. We are not afraid of the retribution of the gods.” “Those who are beaten to death are considered suicides or death due to sickness. With the support from the communist party and the government, we are not afraid to use deadly force especially on those who do not compromise and do not convert!” [3] The prison earned more than 100,000 yuan in individual bonuses every year because of the persecution of Falun Gong.[4]

From 2002 to 2008 when Hou Lide was the chief commander of the persecution of Falun Gong in the Duyun Prison in Guizhou Province, he controlled and incited the prison guards and prisoners to use extremely sinister, very nasty, low blow, and extinct methods to brutally persecute Falun Gong practitioners. The Falun Gong practitioners Mr. Wu Botong and Mr. Ma Tianjun were persecuted to death.

Hou Lide should take full responsibility for the serious crimes of persecuting, torturing, disabling, and killing of Falun Gong practitioners that took place in prison during his term in office. The following is the collection of partial persecution cases during this period.

Mr. Wu Botong, a Falun Gong practitioner, was illegally arrested and detained at the Fengfeng County Detention Center in May 2005 together with his wife Mrs. Pan Yingmei because they were clarifying the truth about Falun Gong. The husband was sentenced to seven years in prison and was confined to Duyun Prison on September 5, 2005. He was persecuted to death in just five days, passing away on September 11, 2005. The prison did not allow his family to view his dead body (only see the face) and the body was forcibly cremated on the same day by the prison.[5]

Mr. Ma Tianjun, a Falun Gong practitioner, was kidnapped in Guiyang City on August 26, 2002. He was sentenced to 11 years in prison in May 2003. He was sent to Duyun Prison in Guizhou Province for illegal detention. During the illegal detention in Duyun Prison, he was tortured so severely that he lost his ability to speak.

Mr. Ma Tianjun, Mr. Chen Zhongquan, Mr. Wang Meihua, and Mr. Qi Dongsheng tore up comics defaming Falun Gong. As a result, they were shocked using an electric baton by Zhong Sha, the Deputy Head of the District, from March 10th to April 8th, 2004. Their faces and necks were so severely burned that the smell of burned meat filled the air. They were also shackled on the bed in the shape of a cross and forced to watch fake videos defaming Dafa for nearly 40 days. Mr. Ma Tianjun was confined. At the end of 2010, a dying Mr. Ma Tianjun was allowed to temporarily leave prison for medical treatment. He died on July 3, 2013, at the age of 54.[6]

Mr. Shi Dengling, a Falun Gong practitioner, was confined for 70 days from May to August 2003 and was shackled to a bed for long periods of time. On May 24, 2004, Yu Xinzhong, the Director of the District in the prison, took him and instructed the regular prisoners to torture him by constantly brainwashing him from 7 AM to 12 PM every day from the end of May to the beginning of July. Starting in July, the brainwashing site was converted to a library. All the doors and windows were covered with paper. Mr. Shi Dengling was beaten, forced to face the wall, and forced to watch propaganda videos day and night, nonstop. He was only allowed to sleep from 4 AM to 6 AM in the morning, 2 hours at most every day. When he slept, his feet were hung from the bed with a rope. Mr. Shi Dengling was beaten severely by the prisoner who followed the orders of Yu Xinzhong, the Director of Transportation District. Mr. Shi Dengling was not allowed to move for long periods of time. After being beaten until bloody all over, he was sent to the emergency room of the hospital for rescue on July 15, 2004 and stayed there for one month.[7]

Mr. Wang Liangjun, a Falun Gong practitioner, was detained in Duyun Prison from September 2002 to September 2004. During this period, his neck was cut by the a prisoner and the wound suppurated. The doctor and the prisoner used scissors to cut his pustules. The severity of the pain made him faint. A 4-inch long wound was carved into his right armpit by a prisoner.  To this day the scar is still clearly visible. His chest became infected. Mr. Wang Liangjun was also brutally tortured in other ways. His limbs were first shackled together. Then someone sat on him to make the shackles press into his body, causing excruciating pain. A prison guard used a stun gun on Wang Liangjun, and passed out for an unknown period of time. While force feeding him medicine, his teeth were struck by a hard object, maybe a metal rod. They beat him if he did not open his mouth. His mouth was smashed, his teeth were dispositioned, and powder was forcibly poured in his mouth. Because of the torture he endured, he was unable to move from his bed for 2 years. In September 2004, he was dragged back home by police from Liupanshui Public Security and left there. He is still bedridden. He is almost deaf and blind; he can barely see words that are as long as a finger.[8]

The Falun Gong practitioners detained in Duyun Prison collectively took off their labor reform cards and strongly protested their persecution at the end of 2003. In February 2004, the Prison Management Officials selected dozens of strong criminals to carry out their commands to torture practitioners. They used hundreds of handcuffs and several high-voltage batons to persecute the practitioners. Every Falun Gong practitioner was stunned with electric clubs and then dozens of criminals beat them together. A practitioner had someone twist his arms, handcuff him, and forcibly clamp the labor card onto him. Falun Gong practitioner Ms. Mo Qi was almost beaten to death. Miao Yu, a prisoner (from Duyun city), almost paralyzed Mr. Mo Qi when folding her arms. She lay on the bed unable to eat and drink by herself for more than half a month. Falun Gong practitioners Ms. Wang Meihua and Wu Kunyi fainted for two or three hours. A seventy years old Falun Gong practitioner named Mr. Zhang Shougang was handcuffed to the iron bed so that he could not move for several days and nights. Mr. Chen Zhongquan was handcuffed to the iron bed and hung from the upper bunk of the iron bed. The whole situation was hellish.[9]

On May 20, 2004, Yang Zhongxin, the Deputy Head of the Third District, Tian Geng, the police, and Du Yunlin, established a group to carry out “transformations” (forcing Falun Gong practitioners to abandon their beliefs). They made a paper hat with evil words written on it slandering Falun Gong and Falun Gong’s Teacher. They placed the paper hat on the head of Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Xu Shiwen and put a bowl of water on his shoulder. They made Mr. Xu Shiwen sit down and watch TV without any physical movement. If he moved, they beat him with their fists and feet or poured boiling water on him or burned him with a lit cigarette. They kept him awake all night, and pretended to be a ghost, licking, tormenting, and insulting to scare him. They did not allow him to go to the restroom. They knocked over Mr. Xu Shiwen and other Falun Gong practitioners to the ground and kept on stepping on their chest and stomach with their feet. They attempted to make them urinate on themselves and left them with wet pants. Three prisoners put their genitals in Xu Shiwen's mouth and on his head and neck to insult him. From the end of July to the beginning of September 2004, Mr. Xu Shiwen was beaten and persecuted by prisoners in the Third District prisons. He was beaten until he vomited blood. Mr. Xu Shiwen went on a few hunger strikes. Prisoners would force open his mouth with a hard object or chopsticks to force feed him, smashing his mouth in the process. They forcibly fed him uncooked rice. After four months of torture, Xu Shiwen became very skinny and could not take care of himself when using the bathroom. Xu Shiwen became insane and his arm became paralyzed after the last persecution.[10]

In Duyun Prison, there is also another vicious means of persecuting Falun Gong practitioners called "bacteria therapy.” They mix practitioners’ food with spit from sick prisoners who were suffering from tuberculosis and fed it to Falun Gong practitioners. They said they wanted to check if Falun Gong practitioners could get sick. Because of long-term confinement, the meals were all operated by the prisoners. Six practitioners, Wang Shougui, Zhou Shunzhi, Hu Dali, Song Binbin, Yang Xiumin, and Zhang Taipeng all suffered from tuberculosis. The criminals in the supervision area once said to Wang Shougui, “Let us see how long you can keep strong. We just put some poison in your mean and you will die in the hospital.”[11]