To investigate the criminal conduct of all institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in the persecution of Falun Gong; to bring such investigations, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far and deep we have to search, to full closure; to exercise fundamental principles of humanity; and to restore and uphold justice in society.

Investigative Report on the Persecution of Falun Gong by Han Mizhong

Executive Deputy Director of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province
January 1, 2021

Full Name of Perpetrator: Han (last name) Mizhong (first name) (韩迷中)

Gender: Male

Country: China

Date of Birth: 1961

Title or Position:

Current Title: Deputy Director of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province, in charge of the “610 Office,” the Domestic Security Division of the Public Security Bureau, Stability Management Office, and the Police Patrol Division.[1],[2]

1999 – 2008: Director of the National Security Division of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province.

2008 – 2010: Secretary of the Party Committee and Director of the Public Security Bureau of Qingxu County of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province.[3]

2010 – 2013: Director of the Yingze Branch of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province.[4]

2013 – Present: Executive Deputy Director of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province, in charge of the Stability Management Office, the Police Patrol Detachment; assists with carrying out the duties of the Domestic Security Defense Detachment.[5]


The “610 Office,” the Stability Management Office, and the Domestic Security Detachment (also called the Anti-Cult Detachment) are the command and execution agencies of the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) persecution of Falun Gong. Han Mizhong needs to take primary responsibility for the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners in Taiyuan City during his tenure at the city’s public security system, especially during the 15 years (1999-2008, 2013-2019) he was in charge of the Stability Management, the “610 Office,” and the Domestic Security Department in the city. The persecution of Falun Gong practitioners under his command include multiple large-scale abductions, illegal imprisonments, and torture to disability and death.

According to incomplete statistics, from July 1999 when the CCP started the persecution of Falun Gong, to September 2017, at least 577 Falun Gong practitioners were abducted and detained in Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province. At least 32 Falun Gong practitioners were persecuted to death and five were tortured to disability. Four practitioners suffered mental breakdowns, at least 88 were sentenced illegally, at least 80 were persecuted at “reeducation through labor” camps, and at least 123 were forcefully sent to brainwashing classes (a class that forces Falun Gong practitioners to give up their faith) for persecution.[6]


Recent cases of persecution (2013-2019)

For more than a year since April 2018, the Public Security Department of Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province had carried out at least four major abduction campaigns of Falun Gong practitioners. At least 32 Falun Gong practitioners in their sixties or seventies were abducted and detained. Eight were sentenced illegally; some were sentenced for up to 10 years in prison. Han Mizhong, the deputy director of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, bears major responsibility for this.


Four Mass Abductions

On September 7 and 8, 2019, eleven Falun Gong practitioners, including Tian Huiling, Zhang Yong, Gao Wei, Zhao Jinzhong, Ms. Zhou Na, and her parents were abducted by the police and their houses were illegally searched. All of them were illegally detained at detention centers. The kidnappings were done under the command of the Public Security Department of Shanxi Province. The Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City set up a task force and coordinated police from multiple subordinate branches to carry out this task.[7]

On the morning of April 20, 2019, the police of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City jointly abducted six Falun Gong practitioners. Among them, Zhang Aiying was illegally detained for 15 days; the whereabouts of the others are unknown.5

On October 19, 2018, dozens of plainclothes police officers in the subordinate bureaus and police stations of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City, knocked on the doors of some Falun Gong practitioners’ homes saying they were plumbers who were there to repair water pipes and checking for leaks. They abducted seven elderly Falun Gong practitioners whose ages ranged from 60 to 85 along with their family members who were not practitioners. Their homes were searched illegally. The seven Falun Gong practitioners and their family members are Chen Yuhua (over 60-years-old), He Aihua (60-years-old), Zhang Fengying (76-years-old), Yao Yuling (nearly 70-years-old), Ms. Ren Qinghua 78-years-old and her husband Mr. Chen 85-years-old). Among them, He Aihua had high blood pressure of 245 mmHg and Chen Yuhua had an abnormally functioning heart. These two practitioners were still forcedly sent to the detention center. On August 5, 2019, five Falun Gong practitioners, He Aihua, Chen Yuhua, Zhang Fengying, Ren Qinghua, and Yao Yuling were tried at an illegal trial. 5

On June 25, 2018, the police of the subordinate bureau of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City illegally searched the houses and abducted eight elderly Falun Gong practitioners. They are Wang Suping (67-years-old), Luo Baojun (male, 62-years-old), Sun Zhifen (60-years-old), Zhang Qingxiang (69-years-old), Zhang Runying (age 71), Guo Runxian (age 68), Tian Yuqin (age 60) and Hu Lanying (age 65).[8] Each of the them was extorted and fined from 5,000 to 30,000 yuan. After being illegally held for almost a year, they were tried at an illegal trial in April of the following year. They were forced to wear handcuffs and shackles when appearing in court. They were given illegal jail sentences. Among them, Sun Zhifen and Wang Suping were each sentenced 10 years in jail.5


Persecution to death:

Mr. Zhao Cungui, a Falun Gong practitioner, was abducted and his house was illegally searched by the police from the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City on November 17, 2015.

During his time at the local detention center, Zhao Cungui was fed meals that the police laced with poison which caused Zhao’s eyesight to become very blurry and two large pustules started growing on his head and leg. In May 2016, Zhao Cungui was sentenced to three years in prison and transferred to Jinzhong Prison in June. Less than two months later, on August 1, Zhao Cungui was taken from the prison to a hospital and died at the age of 62. Family members asked to see the medical records, but the hospital management responded that there was no medical record. The family members also asked to take a look at the body, but the prison officer denied their request. Zhao Cungui’s body was cremated against his family’s wishes. The family members suspect that he was murdered and his organs may have been forcefully harvested while he was alive.[9],[10]


Early cases of persecution (1999-2008)

Mass abductions, persecution to death or disability, illegal sentences:

From the end of October to the end of November 2006, the police in Taiyuan abducted 18 Falun Gong practitioners.[11] All these practitioners were tortured and were subjected to coercive interrogation when they were detained in the Taiyuan City Detention Center. Among them, Dong Ailing and Liu Runlian were beaten until they fainted. The police used electric batons and thick wooden sticks to beat them to the point of vomiting and bleeding. Shi Baoqi (male) was abducted on November 13. Around 30 days later, on December 15, he was persecuted to death. He was only 40-years-old. Wen Shuoyan was sentenced to seven years in prison. Dong Ailing was sentenced to five years in prison. Jia Zengjing was sentenced to four years in prison. Wang Shuzhi was sentenced to four years in prison. Zhang Yan was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison, and Li Yukun was sentenced to three years in prison. Tang Dongmei, Wu Shumei, Shi Guiying, Li Caiyun and his mother, Duan Fengqin, were illegally detained at a reeducation through labor camp.[12]

From October to November 2002, more than 100 Falun Gong practitioners were illegally arrested by the police from the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City. At least eight of them were persecuted to death: Ding Lihong (tortured and killed due to force feeding during a hunger strike), Mao Yanping (beaten to death, only 34-years-old), Wang Zhiming (severely beaten, killed by police use of electric shock batons in the detention center on July 22, 2003), Kang Zhiguo (sentenced to four years in prison, and persecuted to death in prison in May 2005). On October 24, 2002, Yang Yanying, Zhang Aihua, Li Meilan, and Xing Yindi were arrested around 9 a.m. They were tortured to death by police with batons at 4 p.m.[13] On October 1st, Falun Gong practitioners Cui Zhongjiang and Meng Fengwei were arrested and injured after being shot in the legs by the police during the arrest. Cui Zhongjiang was later sentenced to ten years in prison and Meng Fengwei was sentenced to nine years in prison.[14]


Partial list of fatal persecution cases:

From 1999 to the end of 2015, according to incomplete statistics, the death toll of Falun Gong practitioners killed due to persecution in Taiyuan reached 32. Twenty-two of them were originally from Taiyuan. The other ten were Falun Gong practitioners who came to Taiyuan from Shanxi Province or other provinces. They were abducted in Taiyuan by the police of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan City or sentenced illegally in Taiyuan and persecuted to death in Taiyuan.[15]

Yang Qingmin, male, 31-years-old, was abducted by police while he was at work on December 21, 2000. He was brutally killed that night. His body was dropped from a high dam, and the police claimed that Yang Qingmin fell by himself. During the cremation, a family member saw a bloody hole in the back of his head and his eyes, nostrils, ears and mouth were all bleeding.[16]

On October 24, 2002, four Falun Gong practitioners, Yang Yanying (female, 50), Zhang Aihua (female, 35), Li Meilan (female, 43), and Xing Yindi (female, 45) were illegally arrested in Taiyuan. They were arrested at 9 a.m. By 4 p.m., four people had been killed by police who were using electric batons and other torture tools. They were originally healthy women but were persecuted to death in less than half a day. After their deaths, their families were forced to pay money to get their bodies. The two families each paid 10,000 yuan and another family was forced to pay 8,000 yuan.[17]

Ding Lihong, male, 36-years-old, was abducted and secretly detained by the police of the Public Security Bureau in Shanxi Province in early November 2002, and then tortured and subjected to coercive interrogation. Ding Lihong went on a hunger strike for 15 days and was force fed on a bed (a so-called “bed for the dead”). He was persecuted to death at the Provincial Public Security Hospital in mid-December.[18]

Wang Zhiming, male, 39-years-old, was arrested by the police of the Public Security Bureau of Taiyuan and detained in Wanyuan Detention Center, Taiyuan in October 2002. Wang Zhiming protested the persecution. He went on a hunger strike for more than 60 days. He was extremely weak after being tortured by the police at the detention center. Wang Zhiming was finally sent to a hospital, but it was too late. According to the doctor, his brain had shrunk by the time he was sent to the hospital. Wang Zhiming eventually died on July 22, 2003. Police continued surveillance of his body until it was cremated.[19]

Mao Yanping, male, 34-years-old, was abducted by police from the Wanbei District Public Security Branch of Taiyuan City on October 30, 2002. Three days later, he was persecuted to death by the police.[20]

















[15] Ibid.





[20] Ibid.