To investigate the criminal conduct of all institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in the persecution of Falun Gong; to bring such investigations, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far and deep we have to search, to full closure; to exercise fundamental principles of humanity; and to restore and uphold justice in society.

Investigative Report on the Persecution of Falun Gong by Liu Wenming

Director of the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District, Handan City
January 1, 2021

Full Name of Perpetrator:  Liu (last name) Wenming (first name) (刘文明) 

Gender: Male

Country: China

Date/year of Birth: March 1954

Title or Position: 

1994-August 2000: Director of the Second Detention Center of Handan City, Hebei Province.[1],[2]

September 2000-2005: Director of the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District, Handan City.[3],[4]


Summary of Evidence

Below is a documentation of Liu’s crimes as Director of the Second Detention Center and the Public Security Bureau between July 1999 and 2005.  

Liu is one of the culprits of the persecution of Falun Gong in the Hanshan District of Handan City. A fanatic executor of Jiang Zemin’s policies for persecuting Falun Gong, Liu not only bribed and coerced policemen and criminals to persecute Falun Gong practitioners during his tenure from July 1999 to August 2000, he also battered and tortured practitioners himself. Liu personally tortured Falun Gong practitioner Li Zhanglin to death.

As serving Director of Public Security in Hanshan District from September 2000 to 2005, Liu directly planned, organized, and directed methods to persecute Falun Gong practitioners. Among those methods were illegal trials, forced labor camp sentences, and criminal detention of practitioners without trial. According to statistics, he signed the approval for illegal trials, forced labor camp sentences, and handed out criminal detention sentences without trial to over 180 Falun Gong practitioners. Among these, four are documented as being persecuted to death, two as having suffered a mental breakdown, and many more as being detained for long periods of time. He also voraciously blackmailed practitioners’ families and obtained as much as 1,562,550 RMB from them.[5]


Major Documented Cases of Persecution

Case 1: Falun Gong practitioner Li Zhanglin (male) was kidnapped in October 1999 while petitioning in Beijing on behalf of Falun Gong. Li Zhanlin was kept at the Second Detention Center of Handan. He was battered, shocked by electric batons, and injected with drugs that damage the central nervous system. He lost mental cognizance and could not take care of himself. After he was released, he showed symptoms of amnesia and eating disorders and became emaciated. In the autumn of 2002, he was kidnapped and persecuted for a month in Handan’s “610 Brainwashing Camp.” As a result of the severe persecution in Hanshan District under the direction of Liu, Lizhanglin’s symptoms of amnesia and depreciated health escalated. He passed away on June 30, 2005 at the age of 44.[6]

Case 2: In March 2000, Liu, along with more than ten policemen, broke into the female prison area and repeatedly smashed a female Falun Gong practitioner’s face on both sides with the sole of his shoe. Hearing another female practitioner telling him to stop, he also slapped the second practitioner. This terrified many inmates. Liu blustered wildly that he had battered the practitioners by his own will and that he did not care who would be informed. Then he ordered several male inmates to bring two sacks of sand. The arms and legs of the two women where then tightly cuffed around the sacks. The pain on the torso, feet, and arms was intolerable from being pressed and cuffed so tightly to sacks of sand. The women were left cuffed for two days.[7]


Crimes Committed as Director of the Public Security Bureau

After being appointed Director of the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District, Handan City, Liu’s crimes escalated. During his tenure, he persecuted multiple Falun Gong practitioners until death or mental breakdown.

Case 1: Falun Gong practitioner Zhai Pengyun (male) was kidnapped on October 1, 2000 by policemen from the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District, Handan City while he was distributing information about how Falun Gong practitioners were being persecuted. Pengyun was tortured, became extremely feeble as a result, and was released after a month for so called “medical treatment.” Pengyun passed away on January 29, 2001 at the age of 63.[8]

Case 2: Falun Gong practitioner Tan Jinhua (female) was kidnapped in October 2000 while petitioning in Beijing on behalf of Falun Gong. She was illegally detained in a detention center and blackmailed 8000 RMB by the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District. In 2005, Tan was again kidnapped, persecuted, and twice blackmailed for 10,000 RMB. From then on, she was constantly threatened and harassed, and passed away from excessive mental pressure at the age of 68.

Case 3: Falun Gong practitioner Zhang Xiuling (female) was tortured multiple times by policemen from the National Security Department in the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District. As a result, she suffered a mental breakdown and passed away in July 2001.[9]

Case 4: Falun Gong practitioner Zhao Tiefeng (male) was illegally kidnapped by policemen from Hanshan District’s Public Security Bureau. He was battered by electric batons over his entire body, including his chest. His limbs were shaking from the voltage and organs aching. He was tortured until he fell into a coma. Zhao was persecuted until mental breakdown three days later. 30 thousand RMB was illegally extracted from him by local policemen.[10]

Case 5: On October 21, 2002, Policemen broke into Falun Gong practitioner Su Xueling’s house and kidnapped her. She was detained at the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District and tortured by four policemen. One of them stepped on her head and her private parts while the others jolted her with electric batons, verbally abused her, and used bamboo sticks to beat her toes. She was then sent to the local detention center and illegally sentenced to three years of labor in Shi Jiazhuang’s Forced Labor Camp.[11]


Major Cases of Kidnapping and Illegal Trials

On October 26, 2001, policemen from the Public Security Bureau of Hanshan District in the city of Handan kidnapped five Falun Gong practitioners: Li Mingtao, Liu Jun, Yu Qiaoling, Tong Cunshu, and Li Xiangling. Local policemen used torture on the practitioners to forcefully extort statements of relinquishing their beliefs. Policemen shocked them with high voltage electric batons and cuffed them to the ceiling. After 20 days of torture, Li and the four others had swollen limbs; and the handcuffs had cut deep into their skin. They were severely beaten and forced to undergo sleep deprivation. Later, they were transferred to the local detention center and force-fed after they went on a hunger strike. On July 3, 2003, Liu Wenming signed and approved the five practitioners’ illegal trial. Yu was sentences to 13 years in prison, Li and Liu 11 years, Tong 5 years, and Li 3 years.[12]