To investigate the criminal conduct of all institutions, organizations, and individuals involved in the persecution of Falun Gong; to bring such investigations, no matter how long it takes, no matter how far and deep we have to search, to full closure; to exercise fundamental principles of humanity; and to restore and uphold justice in society.

Practitioners Tortured to Death in Guandong Province

August 24, 2004
A4 format download

Appendix I: Practitioners Who Have Been Tortured to Death in Guandong Province


Hong, Haoyuan(28,Chaozhou) Lai Zhijun(50,Dongguan) Zheng, Huabing(19,EnPing)
Chen Liwen(63,Gaozhou) Huang Yaoying(68,Gaozhou) Chen Chengyong(35,Guangzhou)
Gao Xianmin(41,Guangzhou) Hao Runjuan(28,Guangzhou) Li, Xiaojin(33,Guangzhou)
Liu Shaobo(Guangzhou) Luo, Zhixiang(28,Guangzhou) Practitioner(Guangzhou)
Rao Zhuoyuan(33,Guangzhou) Yang, Xueqin(65,Guangzhou) Zeng Yuwen(25,Heyuan)
Deng, Weiqun(Jiangmen) Huang Weijun(50,Jieyang) Wu Jinfang(51,Jieyang)
Huang, Yulan(Maoming) Li, Liang(45,Maoming) Liufu, Meihui(57,Maoming)
Luo, Feiming(64,Maoming) Yang, Cheng(35,MaoMing) Chen, Duo(54,ShanTou)
Wang, Shubin(28,Shantou) Practitioner(28,Yangchun)  


Since the Falun Gong persecution began in July 1999, 977 cases of death due to torture have been verified from various provinces in China. Among these provinces, Guangdong Province has one of the most severe records of persecution against Falun Gong practitioners. Up until June 6, 2004, 26 cases of death due to torture have been verified, making the death toll in Guangdong the eighth highest in the country.

Appendix II: Some Torture Death Cases in Guangdong Province

(up until June 6, 2004, it has been verified that 26 practitioners have been tortured to death)

Case 1

Hong Haoyuan, Male, 30 years old. He was an expert in mobile communication technology from the Chaozhou City Postal and Telecommunications Bureau in Guangdong Province.

In the spring of 2000, Haoyuan went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong and was detained in the basement of Guangdong government Beijing office. He was once locked in a mental hospital, forced fed drugs, faced mental patients for one month. In May 2000, Hong was transferred to the Sanshui Forced Labor Camp for a two-year term. In the forced labor camp, he kept practicing his faith. For the rights to practice Falun Gong, he and several other Falun Gong practitioners went a hunger strike. They were tortured, confined inside a tiny, completely dark room, subjected to electric shocks and beaten, which led to severe internal injuries.

In former division 7, the guards forced Haoyuan to write a pledge promising to give up practicing Falun Gong; otherwise, they would use 2-3 electric batons using more than ten thousand volts to shock him for over ten hours each day. In the second half of 2001, Haoyuan practiced the exercises openly and was beaten by guards with a bench. The bench was broken in two, and Haoyuan's internal organs were severely injured. The forced labor camp did not release him until April 2002. At that time, a healthy young man had been tortured to skin and bones with severe injuries. Relatives, friends and neighbors could not recognize him. In the early morning of January 5, 2003, Haoyuan passed away.

Case 2

Chen Chengyong, male, 34. He lived in Haizhu district, Guangzhou City, Gongdong Province. He was an electrical technician in Guangzhou Paper Factory.

Chen lost his job because he went to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. In January, 2000, he was detained for 15 days for his openly practice Falun Gong in the public. In July, 2000, he was detained for 3 weeks. He was arrested in Beijing for displaying a Falun Gong banner in Tian An Man Square. Only because he refused to give up Falun Gong, he was kidnapped to Guangzhou "Brainwash Center" and was tortured there. A report on July 21, 2001 indicated that Chen Chengyong had passed away in a shed on the outskirts of Guangzhou city. When his sister identified the body, the corpse was already decomposing and was exuding odors. It was estimated that he had been dead for quite sometime before the family was notified. Chengyong's elder sister was sent to the "brainwashing class" after she identified the body. She was illegally sentenced to a labor camp for two years. Chengyong's father passed away after suffering a fatal heart attack because of the tragic death of his son and jailing of his daughter. Dai Zhizheng, Chen Chengyong's wife, an Australia citizen, tried to go to China to bring back her husband's ash. She was refused visa by Chinese Consulate in Sydney. Eight months later, with the help of Australia government, Chen Chengyong's ash was shipped to Australia.

Case 3

Gao Xianmin, male, 41.

On New Year's Day of 2000, eleven Falun Gong practitioners from the Tianhe District in Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province were having a picnic in Tianhe Park. They were arrested and detained in the Tianhe Detention Center. The practitioners conducted hunger strikes to protest the illegal detention.

Policeman Zhu Wenyong, the director of the Tianhe Detention Center at that time, directed four criminal inmates to stand on the practitioner's four limbs while other inmates forced the practitioner's mouth open with a toothbrush. They then poured a whole packet (500 grams) of salt into the bottle, mixed with only a little water. All of the Dafa practitioners on hunger strike were force-fed in this manner. Female practitioner Zhang Chunmei was once force-fed with two packets of salt. She could not move afterwards, remained unconscious for several days and nights, and lost control of her bowels and bladder.

In the beginning, when they force-fed Dafa practitioner Gao Xianmin, one of the inmates witnessing the scene became frightened and fainted. Policeman Zhu Wenyong had the prisoner removed and replaced him with another one to continue the force-feeding. Gao Xianmin eventually died as a result of the brutal force-feeding.

Case 4

Hao Runjuan, female, from Zhangjiakou, Hebei Province. Lived in Baiyun District, Guangzhou City. Hao Runjuan went to Beijing to appeal four times. She was illegally arrested on February 25, 2002 and was tortured to death on March 18, 2002. In a 22 day period, Hao Runjuan suffered all kinds of brutal torture.

After Hao Runjuan was illegally arrested on February 25, 2002, Jingtai police station at Baiyun district personnel brutally beat her, continuously, for three days, and withheld water and food. Three days later, she was taken against her will into Guangzhou City Baiyun Detention Center and was held in cell A211. She was closely monitored by the cellmates.

In order to resist such illegal detention and to help more people know about the truth of Falun Gong, Hao Runjuan persistently practiced the Falun Gong exercises in her cell every day. She patiently clarified the truth to the common criminals in the cell and had always been on a hunger strike, taking no food and no water, to protest the persecution. The police added some unknown yellow drug when they force-fed Hao Runjuan; following each force-feeding, Hao Runjuan couldn't stop vomiting and vomited something like phlegm.

As soon as Hao Runjuan practiced the exercises, the guards would immediately shackle both her feet in irons and fix the shackles onto the cement floor so that she could not move (it's called "connected rings and fixed shackles"). Because of such methods of brutal treatment, Hao Runjuan became extremely weak and lost control of her bladder and bowels.

Hao Runjuan had never cooperated with any arrangement, order or command of the vicious scoundrels. Instead, she persistently protested the persecution with a hunger strike. Even when Hao Runjuan had lost control of her bowels and bladder, the police still replaced the shackles with even thicker and heavier ones. Hao Runjuan suffered tremendous pain.

At one time, in order to stop Hao Runjuan from practicing the exercises, the guards even cuffed her hands behind her back, with one hand coming down from the shoulder and connecting to the other hand coming up from the lower back. This was excruciatingly painful and caused dislocation of one of her shoulders.

During this period, while still wearing heavy shackles, Hao Runjuan was often dragged out for interrogation. Every night she was not permitted to sleep; just like this, after repeated torture for 22 days, Hao Runjuan's young life was forcibly taken away. When the family was notified to identify the body, the body had become completely unrecognizable, but there were still fresh, red bloodstains on it. Because the body was so disfigured, none of her family members believed it was Hao Runjuan, even after seeing the body twice. Then, the family had to bring the two-year-old son for a DNA blood test to prove the body was truly the mother.

Case 5

Luo Zhixiang, female, who died at age 29, was a Falun Gong practitioner in Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province. On November 22, 2002, Luo Zhixiang was arrested by the Tianhe District's "610 Office" and sent to a brainwashing class located at the Huangpu Drug Rehabilitation Center. After going on a hunger strike, she was sent to the Tianhe Traditional Medicine Hospital. Under suspicious circumstances, she fell from the 3rd floor on November 31st, which caused a fatal head injury. She died December 4th, while 3 months pregnant.

On December 5, 2001, upon hearing that Luo was dying, Luo's parents-in-law arrived in Guangzhou with Luo's young daughter. Once there, they found that Luo had died the previous day from the persecution. They went to the Neighborhood Administration and the "610 Office" many times, but no one showed any compassion. Twice, the "610 Office" administrators tried to force Mr. Huang's mother to sign a form that said Luo committed suicide. Mrs. Huang absolutely refused. Based on the facts, Luo was closely watched by 3 people each shift, and they said, "Luo went on hunger strike for 7 days." Luo could not even stand up; who would believe she committed suicide?" Luo's husband Huang Guohua, who was sentence 2 years in a forced labor camp for distributing Falun Gong truth-telling materials, was not allowed to see her body the last time.

Currently Luo's husband, Huang Guohua, is still detained and being tortured in the Huadu Labor Camp in Guangzhou City, and their young daughter is under her grandparents care.

Case 6

Lai Zhijun, Male, 50. He was the assistant mayor and also the deputy director of the Peoples' Representative Council in Fenggang Town, Dongguan City, Guangdong Province

Lai Zhijun was arrested protesting in Beijing against the government's ban on Falun Gong. He was sent to a forced-labor camp in Sanshui, Guangdong Province. He persisted with his practice of the Falun Gong exercises in the camp. For this, he was savagely beaten and shocked with electric batons. Afterwards he went on a hunger strike to protest. He was persecuted to death in a few days. A policeman named Chen Ruihong who might have participated in the persecution himself (he was later transferred to another team) witnessed the persecution death of Mr. Lai. The secretary of the director of Sanshui Forced-labor Camp personally admitted that they were responsible for Lai's death.

According to AP report on May 31, 2001, a government official said that Lai Zhijun was arrested last year for protesting in Beijing against the government's ban on Falun Gong. He died the same year in a labor camp in Sanshui, in the southern province of Guangdong,. Lai was a government office manager in the Guangdong town of Fenggang, said the official, who also works in Fenggang. He said he did not know the cause of Lai's death.

Case 8

Li Xiaojing, female, around 30 years of age, was a teacher at the University of Guangzhou. On the night of June 27, 2002, she was abducted and taken to the brainwashing class of Guangzhou City's Huangpu Drug Rehabilitation Center. She died the next day.

Half an hour after supper on the following day (around 6 PM) that she was abducted, an ambulance suddenly came to the Drug Rehabilitation Center. Many police officers also arrived at the brainwashing class. They dispatched all Falun Gong practitioners to a meeting room in the brainwashing center to watch television there, forbidding anyone from leaving the room. Next, they blocked the entrance to the room where Li Xiaojing was staying and took photos inside the room. The ambulance did not leave until after 7PM and the police left after 11PM. A few days later, the head of the local "610 office" told several practitioners that Li Xiaojing had already died.

Case 9

Yang Xueqin, female, 60. Yang was a retired cadre of the Department of Transportation in Guangdong Province. She was kidnapped by her work unit in August, 2002 because she refused to give up practicing Falun Gong. She was detained in Shanshui brainwash center. She was tortured to death in that brainwash center around September or October, 2002. The brainwash center blocked all the information. The reporter tried to confirm the case through Guangdong Department of Transportation and Guangdong 610 Office, he got the conflict answers. The Department of Transportation said that Yang was died of stroke, while a male official from Guangdong 610 Office said that Yang was "died of hunger strike and we couldn't save her in the hospital."


Case 10

Zheng Huabing was from Erping, Guangdong Province. In June 28, 2000, Zheng was going to Beijing to appeal for Falun Gong. However, he was captured at the Guangzhou Railway Station by the police. Since he refused to give his name and the address, Zheng was sent to a mental hospital in Zhengcheng, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, where he suffered all kinds of torture. His only 500 yuan RMB was seized, and he was put in a room for TB patients. Later this mental hospital informed Zheng's family to bail him out. At that time, Zheng was extremely weak and had edema all over his body. Shortly after returning home, Zheng passed away, at the age of no more than 20. Zhengcheng mental hospital phone: (020) 82878303

Case 11

Rao Zhuoyuan, male, 33. Rao Zhuoyuan was kidnapped to Guangzhou First Forced Labor Camp in mid-June, 2002. Because he firmly kept his belief and refused the brainwash, he was beaten by the labor camp police and was handcuffed to a basketball pole. Everyday he was exposed to scorching sun or heavy rain. Later, Rao broke his neck when he fell down from the 5th floor stairs for unknown reason. He was transferred to Huadu People's Hospital. The staffs from the labor camp prohibit the relatives' visit. When the relatives were finally allowed to visit, his situation is so bad that he couldn't speak. He died in early August.

Case 14

Falun Gong practitioner, male. In May, 2001, Someone detained in Guangzhou Baiyun Mental Rehabilitation Center witnessed a male practitioner doing the exercises got beaten to death and his body was carried out of his cell. The hospital blocked all information and secretly treated the bodies in the mortuary. Nobody knows how many practitioners have been tortured to death in this living hell.

According to the internal information, Guangzhou Baiyun Mental Rehabilitation Center is a charity organization under the Guangzhou City government. Between year 2000 and 2001, under the direct control of "610 Office" and the Security Bureau of Guangzhou City, Guangzhou Shahe Detention Center and Baiyun Mental Rehabilitation Center formed a co-operation to torture hundreds illegally detained Falun Gong practitioners.

The structure of Guangzhou Baiyun Mental Rehabilitation Center:

The crimes committed by Zhang Dezhi

Zhang Dezhi originally came from Huangzhou, Hubei Province. He subcontracted the area of "unchecked flow of population" inside the rehabilitation center, which was used to torture Falun Gong practitioners. On May 4, 2001, Zhang said to Falun Gong practitioners, "We kill people like we kill ants in this hospital. We have a mortuary here and nobody has ever investigated who went in there. I issue death certificates, and nobody will ever find out the real cause of the death."

On May 2, 2001, more than ten female practitioners were transferred from Shahe Detention Center to Baiyun Mental Rehabilitation Center. Because they refused to disclose their names, they were brutally beaten by a group of male drug addicts as ordered by Zhang Dezhi. The drug addicts divided themselves into groups, with three male drug addicts beating one female practitioner using thick iron batons. They beat them with all their might until the practitioners lost consciousness. These practitioners were so violently battered that they were full of bruises, bluish and purple colors, and open wounds. A 60- year-old female practitioner and a 20-year-old female practitioner lay on the ground unconscious and their faces were swollen with bruises. Pleased with their accomplishment, the perpetrators left the scene without turning their heads.

Case 17

Huang Weijun, female, 50 years old. She was from Jieyang City, Guangdong province. Huang Weijun was arrested in May 2002 and was tortured to death the same month at the Number One Jieyang Municipal Police Station.

In May of 2002, Huang Weijun was arrested when she was clarifying the truth about Falun Gong. She was detained in the Number One Jieyang Municipal Police Station and suffered tremendous torture. She went on a hunger strike to protest the illegal arrest. However, without any regard for the practitioners' lives and safety, the inhumane "610 Office" did not notify her family members until her hunger strike had gone on for more than 10 days. Because it was too late to attempt any rescue measures, she passed away.

Case 18

Wu Jingfang, female, 51years old. Wu was a Falun Gong practitioner from Jieyang City, Guangdong Province. She was kidnapped by the police on March 31, 2002 and locked up at the Number Two Jieyang Municipal Police Station. She was tortured to death in less than 10days and was secretly cremated.

On December 28, 2000, without any legal procedure, local policemen broke into her home, abducted her and imprisoned her in the county police station. On September 21, 2001, she was once again forcibly sent to a brainwashing class held by the city. While she was in the brainwashing class, she firmly resisted the demands. On December 27, together with a few other fellow practitioners, she left the brainwashing class and wandered from place to place. On March 31, 2002, local policemen unlawfully arrested her from her apartment and imprisoned her in the Number Two Jieyang Municipal Police Station. She protested the persecution by going on hunger strike. Shortly after, she was tortured to death by the police and was secretly cremated on April 11.

Case 19

Li Liang, male, 45 years old, worked at Maoming City Human Resources Bureau. He began Falun Gong practice in 1998 and his chronic Hepatitis B was completely cured and he fully recovered. On May 30, 2003, perpetrators named Peng Jian, Yang Weijie, Wu Ke, Li Bin from Maoming City "610 Office" and Yao Kangxin from Maoming City Human Resources Bureau broke into Li Liang's home, abducted Li Liang, ransacked his home and sent him to Maoming Detention Center. Because Mr. Li Liang refused to give up Dafa practice, he was sent Guangdong Sanshui Labor Camp, where he was not allowed to practice Falun Gong. He was persecuted until his lower limbs swelled severely. He passed away on November 26, 2003 after the hospital staff failed to revive him.

Li Liang's body

One of Li Liang's friends recently investigated his cause of death. An official with the last name Lin at the worker's office from Maoming City Human Resources Bureau (668-2281- 375) change the causes of Li Liang's death several time, then claimed that he was a new staff and didn't know the case. The same day, a man last named Li at Maoming City "610 Office" (668-2910-610) who tried to arrest Li Liang's friend who called for information said, "Only if you come over to our office will we be able to talk to you about the details."

Case 20

Yang Cheng, Falun Gong practitioner from Maoming City, Guangdong province. Yang Cheng was beaten to death in April 2001 by murderer Liang Zheng, a police officer at the Meihua Police Station in Maoming City, Guangdong Province. An official from Maoming 610 Office (0668-295-1539) didn't deny Yang Cheng's death. He said that Yang Cheng was a farmer but decline to answer other questions with the excuse of "I can not remember because it happened long time ago."

Case 21

Chen Duo, male, 54, a Falun Gong practitioner from Shantou City, Guangdong Province. Chen Duo was kidnapped by the officers from the Jinsha Police Station on May 15, 2003. On May 26, he was sent to the Shantou City Detention Center, where he was brutally beaten on numerous occasions. Chen Duo went on a hunger strike to protest his illegal detention, and the police reacted with even more brutal torture. He passed out three times from the vicious beating and was sent to the hospital for emergency treatment. On June 5, realizing that Chen Duo was dying, the police hurriedly asked his family to take him home. On June 9, Chen Duo passed away due to the severe injuries. Learning of his death, the police forcibly took away the body. After Minghui Net exposed the fact that Chen Duo was beaten to death by Shantou detention center, the officials from Shantou government didn't investigate the crime. Instead, they threaten Chen Duo's family.