Investigative Report on the Persecution of Falun Gong by Wang Lishan
Full Name of Perpetrator: Wang (last name) Lishan (first name) (王立山)
Date of Birth: Nov 1961
Place of Birth: Changyi City, Shandong Province
Title or Position:
March 2003 – May 2003: Acting Dean and Secretary of the Leading Party of the Intermediate People's Court of Cangzhou City, Hebei Province.
May 2003 – January 2005: President and Secretary of the Leading Party of the Intermediate People's Court of Cangzhou City, Hebei Province.
January 2005 – January 2009: Committee Member of the Party of the Hebei Provincial Procuratorate and Director of the Anti-Corruption and Bribery Bureau.
2001 – 2003: Deputy Director of the Hebei Provincial CCP Committee.
January 2009 – April 2011: Deputy Prosecutor and Member of the Leading Party of the Hebei Provincial Procuratorate.
April 2011 – June 2013: Member of the Standing Committee of Baoding Municipal Committee of Hebei Province and Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee.
June 2013 – April 2015: Director of the Leading Group on Preventing and Dealing with Heretical Religions (i.e. the “610 Office”) of Hebei Province, Deputy Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of the Provincial Party Committee.
April 2015 – September 2016: Executive Deputy Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of Hebei Province, Director of the Provincial Office for Peacekeeping.
Main Crime of Persecuting of Falun Gong
April 2011 - June 2013: Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of Baoding Municipal Committee of Hebei Province.
- According to incomplete statistics, between April 2011 and December 2011, at least 74 Falun Gong practitioners in Baoding were abducted, 12 were re-educated, 1 was illegally sentenced to jail and 1 was persecuted to death. The Baoding Municipal Public Security Bureau set quotas for police stations for abducting Falun Gong practitioners prior to October 1, 2011. 50 practitioners with known names were abducted and more than 31 were harassed.
- According to incomplete statistics, from January 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012, at least 76 people were illegally arrested in Baoding City, 13 were illegally sent to the Re-Education Camp, 1 was tried in court illegally, and 3 were illegally sentenced to jail. There were 8 practitioners arrested illegally, 19 practitioners harassed, 3 people sent to "brainwashing classes," 9 people illegally detained, 3 people forced to become destitute and homeless, and 1 person persecuted to death.
- On the eve of the 18th National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party in 2012, the Baoding Municipal Law Commission, the “610 Office,” and the Public Security Bureau ordered the counties, the Municipal Law Commission, and the “610 Office” to enhance the control of Falun Gong practitioners in their jurisdiction. This directly led to a large number of Falun Gong practitioners being illegally harassed and arrested in Baoding City. For example, the Political and Legal Committee of Hexian County and the “610 Office” of Xiong County, Hebei Province registered local Falun Gong Practitioners’ personal information and implemented the so-called “five-watch-one” system, where five people were charged with monitoring one Falun Gong practitioner. In the meantime, they also set up check points at designated stations and various traffic intersections in order to inspect all passing vehicles and pedestrians to search for Falun Gong practitioners. Several Falun Gong practitioners in Ji County of Baoding City were illegally arrested, harassed, and had their homes ransacked during this period.
- From January 2013 to June 2013, there were at least 6 other Falun Gong practitioners captured in Baoding City. Among the 6 people, 1 was illegally arrested, 1 was persecuted to death and 3 were detained.
- On March 5, 2013, Zhao Limei, a Falun Gong practitioner from Ji County, Baoding City was illegally arrested by the National Security Police of Ji County Public Security Bureau. She was detained at the Detention Center in Ji County, and on the same night, Zhao Limei was handcuffed and locked to an iron chair. Within 5 days, she was persecuted to the point of near-death. Out of fear of having to take responsibility for her death, the detention center quickly informed her family that they could take the dying Zhao Limei home.
- On April 23, 2012, Wu Ruixiang, a Falun Gong practitioner from the Ji County of Baoding City, was illegally arrested by the police from the local public security bureau and the police station. On the second day, Wu Ruixiang was illegally sentenced to a re-education camp for a year. He was later abducted and sent to the Hebei Provincial Labor Camp where he was persecuted and tortured the point of death within just four months. In order to shirk their responsibility for his deteriorating health, the labor camp informed his family that they were to take him home. Wu Ruixiang returned home on September 5, 2012 and died on January 8, 2013.
June 2013 – September 2016: Deputy Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of Hebei Province, Director of the Provincial “610 Office,” Director of the Provincial Peacekeeping Office
In June 2013, Wang Lishan was promoted to Deputy Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of Hebei Province and Director of the “610 Office” of the province. He increased the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners and led many large-scale illegal arrests and persecutions in Hebei Province. The following are some cases of mass abduction, arrests, and sentencing that took place in several cities and counties in Hebei Province.
- On November 15, 2013, under the direction of Wang Lishan, Deputy Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of Hebei Province and director of the provincial “610 Office,” the Shijiazhuang Municipal Public Security Bureau dispatched a large number of police in Shijiazhuang City and its surrounding counties in the early morning. They took unified action and illegally arrested more than 20 Falun Gong practitioners. They continued engaging in the illegal abduction and house searching of Falun Gong practitioners in the city of Shijiazhuang and its surrounding counties, including Zhengding, Gaochun, Xingtang, Zhaoxian and Pingshan. This resulted in more than 40 Falun Gong practitioners being kidnapped and more than 10 Falun Gong practitioners being severely persecuted.
- From January 1st to December 31st of 2015, at least 110 practitioners from Zhangjiakou City of Hebei Province were illegally arrested and detained, and 4 people were illegally sentenced. Among those 110 people arrested, at least half of them were arrested for their participation in the suing of Jiang Zemin. In addition, officers from the municipal party committee and the “610 Office” unscrupulously monitored and harassed local Falun Gong practitioners during the International Olympic Committee’s evaluation of Zhangjiakou City's bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics in March 2015.,
- At approximately 3 AM on August 21, 2015, the Public Security Bureau and the police station of Hengshui City and its five subordinate counties in Hebei Province simultaneously dispatched an extremely large number of police. The police illegally arrested dozens of Falun Gong practitioners while illegally searching their homes during the arrests. As a result, 15 Falun Gong practitioners were arrested illegally in Gucheng County; 4 people were arrested illegally, 1 person was killed, and at least 8 Falun Gong practitioners were arrested illegally in Jing County.,
- There were at least 27 cases of persecution against Falun Gong practitioners in the Qionglai area in 2015 and another 33 people were abducted. In May 2015, after the Chinese government announced, “To accept cases in accordance with the law, there must be a case. A case must be brought and the right to sue is guaranteed,” more than 2,000 Falun Gong practitioners in Hebei Province sent their cases to the Supreme Court accusing Jiang Zemin, the culprit of the persecution of Falun Gong, of crimes against them. More than 100 of them had been illegally harassed and intimidated by local police, and at least 14 people had been kidnapped and persecuted by local police.
In the first half of 2016, according to incomplete statistics, at least 31 Falun Gong practitioners were abducted in the Bengbu area. Six were charged by the court, more than 40 were detained, harassed and intimidated for participating in suing Jiang Zhemin, 1 was sentenced to prison, and 1 was kidnapped, imprisoned, and persecuted.
- On December 22, 2015, 8 Falun Gong practitioners from Fengning County of Hebei Province were illegally sentenced. Wang Guozhen (female, 74 years old) was sentenced to 6 years in prison, Zhen Zhenqi (male, 75 years old) was sentenced to 5 years in prison, Feng Yuzhi (female) was sentenced to 4 years in prison, Liu Zhifeng (male) was sentenced to 1 year and 6 months in prison, Zhang Jun (male) was sentenced to 6 months in prison, Wu Yaru (female) was sentenced to 3 years in prison with 5 years’ probation, Li Zhencai (male, 76 years old) was sentenced to 1 year in prison with 2 years’ probation, and Wang Xizhi (female, 76 years old) was sentenced to 1 year in prison and with 2 years’ probation.
- According to Minghui.com, in the first half of 2016, there were 42 Falun Gong practitioners illegally sentenced in Hebei Province, ranking Hebei Province second in the country, just behind Liaoning Province, for the highest number of illegal sentencings. In August 2016, 101 people were illegally arrested in Hebei Province, ranking it first in the country.
Falun Gong Practitioners Who Were Persecuted to Death
According to incomplete statistics, during the time Wang Lishan was Deputy Secretary of the Political and Legal Committee of Hebei Province, the director of the “610 Office” of the province, and the director of the Provincial Office of Peacekeeping, at least 7 Falun Gong practitioners were persecuted and tortured to death in detention centers, prisons, and other places. The following are some cases of persecution.
- Wang Haijin (male), a Falun Gong practitioner from Funing County, Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province was illegally arrested by the National Security Police of Funing County Public Security Bureau from his cake shop on April 22, 2014. He was then detained at the Funing County Detention Center. He suffered three months of torture including brutal force-feeding, regular beatings, sexual abuse, and forced slave labor in addition to other types of persecution while in the detention center. As a result of the torture, his heart swelled up and he developed heart failure, bringing him to the verge of death. In order to avoid responsibility for his death, the detention center released Wang Haijin on July 22 under the condition of so-called “obtaining a guarantor pending trial.” Wang Haijin passed away on October 9, 2014. He was only around 40 years old.
- Qi Lianrong (female) was a Falun Gong practitioner in Chengde City, Hebei Province. On the evening of December 13, 2014, while hanging banners about the persecution against Falun Gong, four members of Qi’s family were kidnapped, including her younger sister Qi Lianhua, her father Qi Zhenqi (74 years old), mother Wang Guozhen (73 years old), and Qi herself. Qi was detained illegally with her sister in the Chengde City Detention Center while her parents were sent to the Fengning County Detention Center in Hebei Province. In the span of three months, Qi was tortured to the verge of death. The detention center, out of fear of being held responsible for her death, informed her family that they were to pick her up from the detention center. Qi Lianrong died 19 days after returning home. She was 50 years old.
- Yuan Shuchen (male) was a Falun Gong practitioner from Gucheng County, Hengshui City, Hebei Province. In the early morning of August 21, 2015, at approximately 4 AM, Qi Hongjun, the director of the National Security Branch of the Chengcheng County Public Security Bureau, along with some others, scaled a wall and broke into Yuan Shuchen's home to kidnap him. Yuan Shuchen resisted the kidnapping and was beaten to death on the spot. He was 65 years old. Qi Hongjun threatened and intimidated Yuan Shuchen’s family to not sue over the beating and death. Yuan Shuchen leaves behind a disabled wife who is unable to care for herself.
- Li Kai (male) was a Falun Gong practitioner from Lulong County, Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province who was illegally kidnapped from his home by the Chenguantun police station in Lulong County on July 29, 2015. Within half a month, he was illegally arrested. The Lulong County Court held a trial against him on September 7, 2015, and he was illegally sentenced to three and a half years in prison. By December 2016, he was detained in Qidong Prison in Hebei Province. After only one month in prison, Li Kai was persecuted so severely that he developed a cerebral hemorrhage. He was sent to the hospital for resuscitation and died on the afternoon of January 29, 2016. He was around 50 years old.
- Dong Hanjie (male) was a Falun Gong practitioner and senior engineer at the Mine Bureau of Cangzhou City, Hebei Province. He was kidnapped by the National Security Brigade of the Public Security Bureau of Zhangzhou City on the evening of February 25, 2014. Dong Hanjie was illegally detained at the Zhangzhou Detention Center, and after two illegal court trials, Dong Hanjie was sentenced to five years in prison by the court on February 11, 2015. In August 2015, he was later sent to Qidong Prison. After just two months in prison, Dong Hanjie died from torture on October 10, 2015 at the age of 62.
- Yan Guoyan (female) was a Falun Gong practitioner from Zunhua City, Hebei Province who was illegally arrested by police on January 15, 2016 for suing Jiang Zhemin. She was illegally detained for 15 days. During the detention, Yan Guoyan was severely tortured and persecuted. She developed high blood pressure and heart disease as a result. After the initial illegal detention period expired, the detention center continued to detain Yan Guoyan until the night of February 2, 2016, when she was in danger of dying. The detention center notified her family that they were to take her home, and after being taken home by her family, she passed away on March 13, 2016, at the age of 46.
 http://www.minghui.org/mh/articles/2016/1/9/ -322024.html#161901448-1